This is another one of our staple comfort foods. Like most of my recipes, it’s easy and requires very little attention while it’s cooking. I usually get it started while Joshua is taking his nap (around 3 pm) and i don’t even look at it again until it’s time to eat. It’s the perfect dish for a mom of a toddler.
- 2-3 lb Beef Brisket
- 1 can beef broth
- 1 can chicken broth
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 package powder bown gravy mix
- Season the brisket with garlic salt & pepper on both sides
- Add the olive oil to a dutch oven (or large pot) and heat on med/high
- Add the brisket to the pan and brown on both sides (about 5 min per side)
- Remove the pot from the heat, remove the brisket to a plate, and set aside
- Add the broth to the pan and scrape off any brown bits from the bottom of the pan while stirring.
- Put the brisket back in and bring to a boil.
- Cover with a tight fitting lid and bring the temp down to low.
- 3 Hours later, remove the brisket from the liquids and let it rest for 15 minues
- Add the brown gravy mix to the pan, increase the heat to med/high, and stir frequently for one minute until bubbly.
- Turn off the heat and the gravy will thicken while you slice the brisket thinly, accross the grain.
- Serve pieces of brisket with a spoonful of gravy over the top and enjoy!
You can add any vegetables you like about 45 minutes before you plan to eat. I usually go for carrots and potatoes, but whatever you have on hand will work out just fine! Sometimes I don’t add anything at all and just serve it with corny noodles. It goes really well with this roast.