I usually double this recipe and freezer half of it for another night when I’m not really in the mood (or the baby just won’t let me) spend time cooking. Doubling the recipe will not effect the times. The money you can save by making your own sauce is INCREDIBLE… and it tastes SO much better than the bottled stuff.
- 3 Tbs Olive Oil
- 6 Garlic Cloves (sliced thinly)
- 1 Onion, Chopped
- 1/2 Tsp Crushed Red Pepper (dried)
- 1 (28 oz) Can Plum Tomatoes (chopped up, juices reserved)
- 1 (15 oz) Can Tomato Sauce
- 1 Tsp Sugar
- 1 Tsp Basil (dried)
- 1/2 Tsp Oregano (dried)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet.
- Add the onion and stir until tender.
- Add the garlic and stir for 1 minute.
- Add crushed red pepper and tomatoes with juices.
- Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, sugar, basil, and oregano.
- Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Uncover and cook until slightly thicker.
- Add salt & pepper to taste.