I love manager’s specials. Pretty much every day you’ll find me cruising the aisles of shop rite looking for that pretty orange sticker and spectacular price. Those stickers usually dictate what’s for dinner, tonight included. I love kielbasa, so when i saw a pound of it on sale for $1.85, i jumped up and down. It’s a good thing Joshua isn’t old enough to be embarrassed by me.. because if he was, this reaction probably would have made him scream out “Help! This crazy lady is NOT my mommy!”.
Anyway, here’s my super cheap and delicious version of a german classic.
- 1 Lb Polish Smoked Kielbasa (1.85 haha!!!) – cut into 1/2 inch rounds
- 1 Can Shop Rite (or any store brand) saurkraut, drained & rinsed (0.85)
- 1 Can Shop Rite (or any store brand) peeled white potatoes, drained, rinsed, and halved
- 1/2 Cup Apple Juice or Cider (0.75)
- 1/2 Onion, Chopped (0.50)
- 2 Tbs Salted Butter, Divided (you MUST have this already, but let’s say 0.25 for fun)
- Add 1 Tbs butter to a dutch oven on med/high heat
- Add onion and saute until carmelized
- Add another tbs butter and the saurkraut. Stir until soft and just a little brown.
- Add apple juice or cider and reduce heat to low.
- Add potatoes and kielbasa, stir, and cover.
- Simmer over low heat for 1 hour
- Serve with rye bread & butter, if you have any.
That’s all. Everything’s already cooking on the stove and the house smells amazing. I guess I better go take a shower before Joshua wakes up from him nap!